Sheikh Amir Raza, Mardan
Son of Sheikh Mushtaq Ahmad
Martyred on September 3rd, 2010

Bait-ul-Zikr mosque in Mardan, Pakistan was attacked by two terrorists. One Ahmadi Muslim, Sheikh Amir Raza was martyred during this attack, whilst further loss was prevented by the bravery of the Ahmadi Muslims charged with securing the premises.

On 3rd September 2010 at around 1.05pm local time Mr Ata-ul Hameed was leading the Friday prayers at the Bait-ul-Zikr mosque at Muslimabad, Canal Road, Mardan when two unknown terrorists tried to enter the premises.

Initially one of the attackers threw a grenade towards the Mosque entrance which landed a few metres away. Upon seeing this, the Ahmadi Muslims near the entrance went into the mosque and locked the door from the inside.

Due to the bravery of further Ahmadi security personnel one of the attackers was injured and so he retreated. However the other began to fire his gun indiscriminately. He again tried to enter the mosque but was prevented from doing so by the Ahmadis on duty. Seeing that he would not be able to enter the mosque the terrorist chose to detonate a bomb hidden inside his jacket in a suicide attack. The effect of the explosion was massive and due to the impact the mosque gate and the outer wall were both destroyed. The homes of Ahmadis who lived nearby were also damaged by the explosion. Upon the explosion the other terrorist who had retreated ran away and remains unaccounted for.

Inside the mosque building at the end of a small corridor is a small room where final security checking takes place. At the time of the attack Sheikh Amir Raza was on duty in that room. When he heard firing he closed the inner door in an effort to protect the worshippers who had come for Friday prayers and also to prevent either of the terrorists from entering into the mosque area. However when the suicide bomber blew himself up the blast was so severe that it caused the door and wall of the room Sheikh Amir Raza was in to collapse. As it fell the door struck Sheikh Amir Raza and he was seriously injured. Tragically, on the way to hospital Sheikh Amir Raza succumbed to the injuries and was thus martyred.

Sheikh Amir Raza was 40 years old and was the son of the late Sheikh Mushtaq Ahmad. He was a much loved and dedicated member of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Jamaat. He had an electronics business and also worked for a food items agency.

Sheikh Amir Raza is survived by his wife, Lubna Amir, his son Usama (9) and infant daughter.

Hadhrat Khalifatul Masih V (atba) mentioned in his Friday Sermon of 3rd September 2010:

“Today we received very sad news that during the Friday prayers our Mosque in Mardan was attacked by terrorists. One person was martyred and some others were injured. May Allah elevate the status of the martyr and grant full recovery to those who were injured.”

His Holiness went on to say:

“What type of people are these, who in the name of Islam and in the name of God perpetrate such evil acts? These people who attack worshippers of God in His name can under no circumstances claim to be Godly. Just two days ago there was also an attack on a Shia religious procession in Lahore in which many innocent people were killed and many others were injured. May God quickly save our country from the acts of such evil persons and groups. Indeed I pray that He saves the entire world because such evil has spread throughout the world.”

(Friday sermon of 3rd Sep 2010)